Holidays and Special Services
In addition to the regular Sunday services, AHCC offers special services throughout the church year.
Experience Holy Week in new and traditional ways.
Sunday, March 28 – Experience Holy Week in an Afternoon!
For the afternoon of Palm Sunday (March 28) from 3-5PM, AHCC has created an experiential tour where participants drive to four locations in and around Hartford to experience Holy Week through a retelling of the final days of Jesus’ life on earth.
- AHCC’s Memorial Garden will feature a celebration of Palm Sunday and Jesus’ triumphant entry into Jerusalem.
- At Rev. Erica Thompson’s home (136 Whiting Lane, West Hartford) you will celebrate Maundy Thursday as we break bread and receive Jesus’ new commandment to love one another.
- Hill outside the Connecticut State Capitol building in Bushnell Park. There you will remember Jesus’ public crucifixion and death on what we know as Good Friday.
- Overlook at Elizabeth Park where we will consider the predawn hours on the third day (Easter) when the women went to the tomb to anoint Jesus’ body.
What you need to know:
- You may begin your Holy Week journey at AHCC any time between 3 - 5PM. The idea is that not everyone show up at AHCC at 3:00PM. Rather, there will be staggered participation throughout the allotted time.
- The entire experience of all four stops should not take more than 1 hour.
- To get the most from the experience, please engage in the order it is set forth, going from one stop to another in the order they are presented.
- Each location will have elements appropriate for all ages.
- Use this experience as a reflective, spiritual practice - one that you can share as a family, or one that you can experience in solitude, in a way that helps you to consider anew Jesus’ final days.
- Invite others – this not a “members only” experience!
Holy Week 2021 Services
Sunday, March 28, 9:00am, Palm Sunday Livestream Worship | Closed Captioned | Pastor Jordan Rebholz preaching
Join us for worship as we celebrate Jesus' triumphant entry in Jerusalem. How might we find new ways to shout "Hosanna" in our world? How do we invite ourselves and others to "parade" or transition into a renewed sense of wholeness? As we prepare for this year's Holy Week and we as a community move closer to acknowledging Christ's death and resurrection once more, let's gather together to prepare our hearts and minds for the journey.
Thursday, April 1, 8:00pm, Maundy Thursday Livestream Taizé| Closed Captioned
Rev. Erica Thompson leads the service
Join us via LiveStream for a 45-minute meditative service of spoken word and the beautiful melodies of Taizé. Music features a quartet of singers accompanied by piano & cello.
Friday, April 2, 7:30pm, Good Friday Livestream Worship | Closed Captioned | Rev. Erica Thompson leads the service
Join us via LiveStream for a traditional Good Friday service featuring the Gabriel Fauré Requiem, presented by the AHCC music ministry team.
Easter Sunday, April 4
You are invited to “come on up for The Rising” with Asylum Hill Congregational Church. What a day we have planned!
6:15AM In person worship. Sunrise service at The Overlook at Elizabeth Park. This 30-min worship service is a great way to celebrate The Rising of Jesus as we watch a new day dawn on the horizon. Rev. Tracy Mehr-Muska leads the service, Rev. Erica Thompson
10:00AM A service that will blow the roof off, oh wait – there is no roof because this Easter we will be worshiping outside in AHCC’s parking lot! Brass, a band, the sanctuary choir, the sacrament of communion, bubbles galore, and a maybe even a dance party. Rev. Erica Thompson leads the service. The service will also be livestreamed and Closed captioned.
1:00PM Easter Community Meal
Come celebrate Easter Day with a very special Easter Lunch Community Meal in the AHCC parking lot. We’ll order the honey-baked ham and green beans, and invite you to bring mashed potatoes and pies to share! All are welcome to come join us for some good food, an Easter egg hunt and Easter baskets as we gather together with our friends and Asylum Hill neighbors for a celebration of our beautiful community and Christ’s resurrection.
Sign up to help and/or contribute food here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0B45A8AB22A46-easter
Service of Healing and Remembrance There are times in our lives when the holiday season brings more sadness to our hearts than joy. All are welcome to join church members and friends for this special and meaningful service in the chapel. Leadership is provided by our clergy, staff and Caring Ministers.
Christmas Eve Family Service an intergenerational service offering lively congregational hymn-singing and quiet moments of contemplation.
Christmas Eve Candlelight Traditional candlelight services with choir and instrumentalists. Come explore God’s unpredictable, astounding love in the wonder and mystery of the incarnation.
Christmas Day A small, intimate celebration of the Christ Child. We continue to let the power and mystery of Christmas unfold around us as we tell in song, scripture, and story the good news of the child born in Bethlehem.