Helping Loved Ones with Aging
Helping Loved Ones with Aging: Embracing the Uncomfortable Conversations
Dr. Elizabeth (“Liz”) D’Amico, a psychotherapist/consultant from West Suffield, will present both practical and emotional information on caring for those we love as they/we age. This presentation will include such topics as:
· Basics of cognitive aging: is it dementia or is it something else? If it is dementia, now what?
· How the child-parent relationship dynamic impacts this life transition process;
· Is assisting my parent(s) a “should?” a “need to?” a “must?” a “want to?” And, owning the “why?;”
· The steps to consider in assisting aging individuals: legal, financial, living situation, health, driving, relationships, and more;
· How (and when) to start those conversations about aging and transitions;
· Self-care and balance related to caring to parents or partners — and coping with our emotional reactions.
Opportunity will be provided for questions and discussions at the end of the presentation.
Register here: https://www.ahcc.org/civicrm/event/info/?reset=1&id=168