Governance and Leadership
AHCC is governed by a Board of Deacons, led by the church moderator and vice moderator. Deacons give direction to the future of the church, serve at church services, and offer counsel to its officers and others. Deacons share the leadership of the church with the ministers, including:
- Affirmation of members;
- Developing fellowship within the church;
- The conduct of public worship and the sacraments;
- Short and long-range planning including the development of priorities, programs, and financial strategies;
- Upon the recommendation of the Administration and Finance Committee, the approval and adoption of the annual budget; and
- Review and approval of expenditures of $10,000 or more by staff or any committee or sub-committee.
For printed copies of the minutes of the Board of Deacon's meetings, please contact Helena Carvalho
In addition to the Board of Deacons, the committees of the church consist of the Executive Committee, the Personnel Committee, Nominating and Governance Committee, Administration and Finance Committee, Worship and Arts Committee, Outreach Committee, Membership Committee, Communications Committee, Stewardship Committee, Children and Family Committee, Youth Committee, Adult Education Committee, and Women’s Spirituality and Fellowship Committee.
The United Church of Christ
Asylum Hill Congregational Church is part of the Connecticut Conference of the United Church of Christ (UCC). Their motto — "that they may all be one" — is Jesus' prayer for the unity of the church. Founded in 1957, the UCC is one of the most diverse Christian churches in the United States. The UCC is known for its welcoming stance toward all people and was the first historically white denomination to ordain an African-American, the first to ordain a woman, and the first to ordain an openly gay man. We were in the forefront of the anti-slavery movement and early leaders in the Social Gospel movement, taking seriously Jesus' commandment to "love your neighbor as yourself."